Tuesday, November 8, 2011

#LisaIrwin : Checkbook 'Journalism'

Quote:

What happened to the days of researching your own news story as a reporter?  What happened to getting the story the old fashioned way without wooing the newsmaker financially?

The Baby Lisa Irwin missing child case here in Kansas City has opened my eyes to a lot of things.  At 50 years old, I thought I had seen quite a bit.  As a reporter, I have covered presidential visits, presidential campaigns rolling through the Show Me State, the Miss Universe pageant, entertainers, and the mundane local government and school board meetings.

I was so excited as a college student to get out and make my dent in the news world that I went straight through and graduated in November of my senior year.  I had a job in radio news in under a week from leaving college and was covering politics in the state capitol.  It was sure a plum job for a farm boy from rural Mid-Missouri who always wanted to be a news reporter...read more

http://kansascitypi.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-journalism.html